So we are travelling this weekend to Mumbai, India for 10 days for Christmas. And I’m trying to finish off all the meat, cheese, and other perishables. Basically I’m on a mission to empty my refrigerator which is always stocked up with items I use on a daily/regular basis, or items I plan to use, or stuff that I just picked up because some recipe asked for it and then have no clue where’s that darn recipe gone off to. Two such items that’s at present calling out for my attention, begging me to pick it out from the freezing chilling room of my fridge… is the blue cheese and sour cream. What did I plan to make with these 2, I now wonder?!?!?!
Anyway, that’s when I stumbled upon the perfect recipe that helped me use many items from my refrigerator – pasta sauce, cheeses, and minced meat. That’s right….I made Baked Spaghetti, using this recipe.
Tweaked it a little bit because my husband is not a big fan of pasta and the other dishes from it’s family….like macaroni with cheese, lasagna, spaghetti, pasta in white sauce or meatballs. But today he not only devoured the baked Spaghetti, but also said it was really nice and tasted just like restaurant-bought (it’s a BIG compliment!) and went on for seconds. And so here’s what I did:
- 1 package (400 grams)spaghetti
- 1 package (500 grams), minced beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (700 grams) meatless spaghetti/pasta sauce (I used 350 grams of chilli flavor pasta sauce and 350 grams of Olives n mushrooms pasta sauce)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (save about a cup for the final topping)
Cook spaghetti according to package directions till al-dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions. Once it’s a little translucent, add the minced beef and cook over medium heat. Once the beef is well cooked, stir in the spaghetti sauce and season it with salt, oregano, pepper, cayenne chilli powder. Set aside the meat sauce.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Add the cooked spaghetti to the egg mixture and toss to coat.
Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased baking dish. Top with half the cottage cheese, cream cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
Do a final topping of mozzarella cheese.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake for another 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Serve hot and it’ll be nothing short of Delicious!
- You can increase or decrease the amount of all the cheeses to suit your taste. You can even avoid the cream cheese or cottage cheese, totally. But don’t leave out the mozzarella because that would mean compromising on the taste.
- You can substiture minced chicken for the beef.
- Please note this can easily serve 4 – 6 people. We had it for dinner, lunch and still had some left over which I freezed and then we had it as a snack, few days later.