We’ve decided to go healthy, a little. instead of just meat every day for dinner, we thought we would add a little bit of vegetables as a side dish or maybe even as a main. And so this is what’s for dinner tonight – Lamb Chops with Greek Salad (will post the recipe to the Lamb chops soon).
Greek salad, or horiatiki salata, is a rough country salad of juicy tomatoes, cucumber, sliced onions, green bell pepper or capsicum, cubed feta cheese and black olives (kalamata preferably). And I added some Romano lettuce to it too. More the green, the better. It’s really simple, filling and very healthy.
Ingredients ( increase or decrease each vegetable to suit your preference)
- 3 cucumbers, cubed or sliced into half moons (my son loves them, so even 3 is sometimes less)
- 1 tomato, cubed (not a big fan of tomatoes, so I add less)
- 1 red/purple onion, sliced
- 1 capsicum, julienned
- 15 blackolives, sliced (or put them as is – your choice)
- 2 -3 leaves of lettuce ( torn into bite-size pieces)
- 50 grams Feta Cheese, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black Pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 Tablespooon lemon juice
Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano in a small jar and shake well. Or else put it in a smal bowl and mix well with a spoon. Put all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. And pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine just before serving. Garnish the Greek salad with a little freshly ground black pepper.
And your salad’s ready to eat. Go green!